Every day you are being bombarded with messages; in conversations, on TV, on the radio and very powerfully 24/7 through social media. Images are strategically placed on billboards to catch your attention and there are more free newspapers than ever before. Is it any wonder your mind goes into meltdown? Is it any surprise that so many of the thoughts in your head are not your own, rather a mix of these messages that have stayed with you?
Add to this mix the messages shared by friends, family, work colleagues and what have you got? A melting pot of ‘how to’, ‘when to’, ‘whether to’ and ‘if you do’ thoughts to live by!
Then there are your life experiences. These also shape your way of thinking, believing and behaving. When you look at it that way it is easy to see why the 12-30,000 thoughts per day we are said to have had occurred (many of which are replays, the same thought over and over again).
This constant activity can often block out the messages that are truly helpful or needed hence the need to master your mind.
Mastering Your Mind focuses on breaking down the constant chatter, the messages you send to yourself that create limiting beliefs, the barrage of information that stops you from being calm and the mixed messages that counteract each other so even when you are doing your utmost to work from a place of positive thinking the underlying thoughts fight back.
Unblocking the blocks will help you to move from ‘I can’t’ to ‘I can’ without the constant worry about the outcome. Unblocking the blocks will free you to do more than you thought was possible for you…
We have a brain system known as the Reticular Activating System (RAS). Its job is to filter the many pieces of information we receive from others, our environment, television and everything that is going on around us. Realistically we cannot absorb all of this information on a conscious level so the RAS filter determines what goes in and what stays out. This varies hugely from person to person based on:
- The beliefs the individual holds (I can, I can’t)
- The expectations that are put upon the individual (I should, I shouldn’t)
- The emotional state of the individual at that time (Where am I now – and this will vary from topic to topic)
- What the individual is focused on (what is important or is the individual making important at that time)
Here is an example to get the point home:
If you believe you are destined to be poor and one of the messages being sent to you is an opportunity to become rich, your RAS is likely to seek out the messages that support your focus (being poor), refer to where you are at that moment (being poor), refer to your beliefs (you are poor) and throw out any opportunities that tell you any different because they do not fit with your model of your life. The RAS does not allow conflicting information into conscious thinking. It has enough to manage!
When you tell yourself ‘things are rubbish’, ‘life is too difficult’, ‘money is in short supply’ or ‘relationships are not worth the effort’, your RAS will send through the information that supports those beliefs, feelings and focus.
So, when I say you can choose to create the life you desire, it is a choice, however, there is some serious rewiring that needs to take place to make it happen.
You can begin the rewiring process by:
- Questioning Your Beliefs – why do you believe what you do? Where have you heard or seen those things that now appear to be real and true to you?
- Understand Who & What Planted Them – Who has influenced those beliefs and what happened to reinforce them?
- Identify Long-Term Consequences Of Your Beliefs – If you continue to believe what you do, how will that affect your life moving forward, your goals, your desires?
- Transform Your Thinking & Labelling Consciously – What will you do on a conscious level to begin your transformation? How will you change your language when labelling situations, behaviours, experiences so that fewer negative things seep in?
- Interchange Disempowering Beliefs With Empowering Beliefs – What new beliefs will you hold? What will you do to reinforce them so that the RAS begins the filtering process with these new beliefs front of mind?
- Take Chare Of Your Emotions & Thoughts – how committed will you be to taking responsibility for your thoughts and emotions? How will you monitor them in order to work at being your best you, thinking your best thoughts?
It’s time to master your mind!